Healthy Anise Biscuits

My grandmother was a fabulous cook -- seriously, she's a legend. My father always recounts all the wonderful meals she used to make and a few days ago was telling us all about her famous anise biscuits (anise is a licorice-like herb that has many health benefits -- we drink anise tea a lot here which is great for digestion problems).

When going through an old cookbook by the fabled Abla Nazeera, another Egyptian cooking star, I stumbled across the recipe and just had to give it a try.

Now I am sure that these biscuits are nowhere near as good as the ones my grandma used to make, but I reaaaaaally liked them. And imagine, a dessert recipe that doesn't call for using oil OR butter -- this one is definitely a keeper :)


Ingredients:

1.1 lbs flour
1.1 lbs powdered sugar
8 eggs
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bakers ammonia
1 tsp dried and ground anise leaves


Preheat your oven to 320 degrees F. Separate the egg yolks and whites into 2 separate bowls. Add the sugar and the bakers ammonia to the egg yolks. Whisk the egg whites extremely well, for about 10 minutes - they will look very "bubbly". Add the flour, baking powder and anise into a third bowl, mixing the three ingredients together. Add the egg whites and the flour bowl to the egg yolk mixture. Mix well until the batter becomes a uniform consistency.


Add the batter to a well greased brownie pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until cooked through. Turn off your oven.Remove the pan from the oven and once the biscuit completely cools, cut it into rectangles (they can be as small or as large as you prefer). Turn your oven back on (set it on low) and put the cut up biscuits back in for about 30 minutes so that they can become a crunchy, yummy texture.


I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you gave it a try let me know what you think :)

6 comments:

  1. Delicious. I love anise!...any tea (or other beverage) in particular that you can recommend to go with it? (Usually I drink anise!...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really boring, I live on English Breakfast tea (with milk of course). Would that work? I feel like anything else will overpower the biscuits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you get your copy of Abla Nazeera's book? I would love to get a used copy anywhere available. thanks.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda - I got my Abla Nazeera book from Cairo, Egypt in its original Arabic. I'm not sure where else to get it - so sorry!!! If you find any English copies please do let me know :) If they haven't already they really should get it translated as it's an amazing resource to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you get your copy of Abla Nazeera's book from Cairo? Do you know a specific book shop that I can find it there? Would appreciate your help! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry for the super late reply -- it was a gift, so i dont know where it was from :( sorry!

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I promise to respond to any questions as soon as I possibly can.