Egyptian Lemon Juice with Mint


Here's a refreshing beverage that compliments any light meal. The mint is always a pleasant surprise and is good to include because it has so many health benefits like relief for some respiratory disorders (you should always have mint on hand during these winter months) and promoting digestion. Mint really should be incorporated into more recipes -- I will try and post more main dishes with mint very soon to give you some ideas as it is used often in Middle Eastern cooking.

Anyways, back to the lemon juice... Egyptians have quite the sweet tooth so this recipe calls for a significant amount of of sugar. No worries though, you can reduce the amount if you prefer.

Also, if you use brown sugar you will end up with the same taste but the lemon juice will turn a weird muddy color which to be honest does not look very appetizing. I use white sugar for this purpose, but if you don't mind the funky color you can use brown sugar instead.


Ingredients:

10 small lemons, juiced
Handful of fresh mint (or more if you prefer)
1 cup white sugar
1.5 liters of water

This is easy: add the juice of the lemons and sugar to a blender. Blend. Add the water and mint. Blend some more. Add some ice cubes if you like. Drink and enjoy :)

Serves 4-6

Don't miss a recipe!

Subscribe to Nirvana's Kitchen by Email

11 comments:

  1. Sounds fantastic! I wish my mint in my herb garden was growing faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually prefer brown sugar, but how can I resist that deep yellow-green? It's really a gorgeous color...oh well, off to the store for some white sugar then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lemon and mint combo sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and so unusual! I'm bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an easy lemon drink. Perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very appetizing,MMMmmmmm.... really refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a unique combination! I've bookmarked it, will definitely try the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds so good...I bet it would make a nice granita.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm yummy! I will make this tomorrow for my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone :)

    doggybloggy: a granita sounds like a fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds delicious.
    I'm about to make it.
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I promise to respond to any questions as soon as I possibly can.