Creamy Potato Bake with Caramelized Onions


This weekend I made the most amazing potato dish for brunch.  It was completely improvised but turned out to taste fabulous - my husband and I gobbled up the whole dish in minutes.

The best part? This creamy dish contains absolutely no cream.  The method I used for my creamless mushroom sauce worked here as well.  I just thickened the milk by adding some flour to it and it tasted just like the real thing!

So if you are looking for an easy side dish to prepare or for something to make for brunch next weekend you don't have to look any further.  Also, you can make this recipe even more exciting by adding more ingredients to it.  The next time I make it I may add some mushrooms.


Ingredients:
1 onion
1 tsp butter
3 small yukon potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin pieces
1 cup milk (I used fat-free milk)
2 tsp all purpose flour
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese

Method:
1. Caramelize the onions by heating 1 tsp butter in a pan.  Add the onions and cook on a low heat.  Stir continuously until the onions slowly caramelize.
2. Remove the caramelized onions and set aside.  In the same pan add the milk and flour and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste.
3. In a shallow dish (such as a pie or quiche dish) add the potatoes and caramelized onions.  Mix them together well. Add some salt here to taste as well.
4. Add the milk to the potatoes and onions and make sure that they are well coated.
5. Sprinkle the top of the plate with freshly grated parmesan cheese
6. Put the dish in a preheated oven (400 degrees F) and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until cooked through. This may take longer or shorter depending on how thinly you sliced your potatoes.
7. Serve hot

Don't Miss a Recipe!
Subscribe to Nirvana's Kitchen by Email

8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is really creamy and smooth! An excellent snack for tea time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, this dish!
    I might make this soon for my potato loving British husband! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there is no cream! This would be a warm and comforting hit in my house. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this creamy potato dish. It would make a great side for any brunch...easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I am already thinking I could make this in individual dishes. Yummy! Thanks for posting this one. What a beautiful dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks super yummy and incredible..

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I promise to respond to any questions as soon as I possibly can.