Green Bean and Chicken Stew


Here's another fabulous recipe I tried from Najmieh Batmanglij's wonderful cookbook.  I have become obsessed with this book! If you haven't already read my post on her chicken and apple stew I highly recommend you give it a try this weekend. You won't be sorry!

This chicken and green bean stew was a huge hit and was easy enough to prepare for a weeknight meal.  The flavors of the tomatoes and lime perfectly compliment the green beans and made for an ideal hearty meal.

I've been trying to incorporate green beans into my cooking these days due to the plethora of health benefits they have to offer:
Green beans are very rich in vitamins A and C both of which are important in fighting free radicals in the human body. The beta carotene in green beans are also thought to be an important element in the fight against cancers such as colon cancer.  It is said that the folate present in green beans helps prevents against mutations in colon cells and thus reduce the possibility of disease. 
You don't have to use chicken for this recipe.  You can use any other type of stew meat as well such as lamb or veal.

Ingredients:
1 lbs chicken (or 1 lb of any other type of stew meat such as lamb, veal or beef)
2 onions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons oil
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 lb green beans (fresh or frozen - I used organic frozen green beans)
2 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium fresh tomato - peeled and sliced

Method:
1. Cut the meat you are using into bite-sized cubes
2. In a large Dutch oven heat the oil and brown the onions for a couple of minutes.  Add the chicken along with the salt, pepper, turmeric and cinnamon.
3. Add 2 cups of water if you are using meat or 1 1/2 cups water if you are using chicken.  Cover, reduce the heat and cook for about 45 minutes if you are using meat and 20 minutes if you are using chicken.
4. Add the green beans to the Dutch oven along with the lime juice, tomato paste and tomato.
5. Cover the dish and let cook for about an hour over a low flame.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Serves 6
Recipe from Najmieh Batmangli's New Food of Life: Ancient Persian and Modern Iranian Cooking and Ceremonies.  

Don't Miss a Recipe!

Subscribe to Nirvana's Kitchen by Email

4 comments:

  1. I definitely do not eat enough green beans and I was glad to read about their benefits. This is a great dish in which to incorporate them into a meal. I love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, I have that book and use it a lot. I just love all of the recipe in this book. Your green bean look super!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a very delicious Persian dish. looks amazing and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I promise to respond to any questions as soon as I possibly can.